Questions about UPS+surge protector

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat May 15 16:21:53 UTC 2004

"Stewart C. Russell" <scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> And anyway, what's with this crazy country that the power goes out every time
> it rains a bit? We lost power to what the news called a "Severe Storm", but
> what we in Scotland call "Autumn".

IIRC, power lines in the U.K. are buried.  I'm not a power systems engineer
but I expect that alone would make the grid more robust.  Also, I don't think
there's much doubt that (in Ontario at least) we haven't been making the
necessary investment to properly maintain the power grid.

Getting back on topic, last summer I bought myself an APC Back-UPS Office
500.  It's a "power bar" style UPS with 3 battery powered sockets and 3 surge
only.  I got it at Above All on Bloor St. and was lucky enough to get the
older model with serial ports so no messing with USB (although I understand
the USB models are now supported by nut).  While we have frequent short power
outages in the Summer, since then, excluding the big blackout, I've had zero
downtime due to power loss.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada