Questions about UPS+surge protector

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Sat May 15 06:42:43 UTC 2004

On 14-May-04, at 18:24, James Knott wrote:

> Henry Spencer wrote:
>> Mind you, some of this would depend on where you are.  I'm in the old
>> City of Toronto, which has very well-behaved power.  Out in some
>> suburb
>> on the edge of the tundra :-), power quality might be more of a
>> concern.
>
> Such as Scarberia?  ;-)

I had dirty, bouncy, and spiky power out in Scarberia a few years ago.
It
left my motherboard crippled (dead IDE1 channel, so I'm stuck with my HD
and burner on the same channel!).

I recently then purchased a UPS with the spoils of purchasing Rogers
cable
modem service via Future Shop (sure, I'll take $100 for service I'm
going
to get anyway).  The only power outage that I recall having since
getting
the UPS lasted over an hour and a half, so the UPS wasn't much use apart
from properly shutting the equipment down after 20 minutes.  The
disturbing
part is how often the UPS kicked in for under 1 second, at around 6am.
don't know what someone's doing with the power grid in my building at
that
hour almost every day, but I'm sure glad my machine's not feeling the
effects.

--
taa
/*eof*/