KVM switches and X

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Thu May 13 14:42:08 UTC 2004

> I recently hooked up a new KVM and I am getting horrible video when in
> X.  In text mode things appear to be fine.  Doing a bit of research I
> found claims that KVM switches often don't provide enough "bandwidth"
> for high refresh rates such as those used by X.
>
> The effect that I am seeing is a bright glow (shadow?) around all
> fonts, it's very hard on the eyes and I start getting a headache after
> minutes.  Other than this font problem X displays correctly.  If I
> plug the monitor directly into my desktop then X is fine, I've tried
> different cables and different ports in the KVM to no avail.

This sounds like a hardware problem; it is _possible_ that getting the
fanciest cables you can get (replete with gold-plated connectors and
such) might help.

I wouldn't want to run high-end video through a KVM; it is _certain_
that the addition of extra hardware will degrade the signal.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','acm.org').
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spiritual.html