perl file browser

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu May 6 16:23:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 07:37:34PM +0000, Ilya Palagin wrote:
> Yes, the book is great.  But the problem is that this script won't be
> usable due to web interface limitations (to fix it, extensive
> java-scripting is required).  For example, I entered into a subdirectory
> and clicked of file names. Then I want to visit another subdir to select
> more files. What do I do? Of course, click 'Back' to go to parent, and
> loose all my selections when I enter another subdir!
>
> On my opinion, another solution aside this script is required. I would
> recommend ftp in this case.

Well trying to do something that explicitly involves maintaining the
state of something, is inherently going to requrie some dirty messy
coding to be done over http which was meant to be stateless.  There
won't be a clean solution (some people would use java since it can be
stateful.  Or perhaps flash with remote scripting.  I have seen some
real nice flash remote scripting stuff done with php for browsing photo
albums.)

Lennart Sorensen