Help with Install Please

Geoffrey Hunter GHunter-kgJIzn72htc at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 24 06:17:18 UTC 2004

Overall: I want to use Midnight Commander as my file manager and operating
environment; I have downloaded mc-4.6.0.tar.gz, have decompressed it with gzip,
and have extracted all the files with tar; I now have a new folder (mc-4.6.0)
containing about 30 files and sub-folders.  What next ?
      There is a README file (text which may help), but how do I read this
(and other text) file(s); i.e. what is the command to display the contents of
README on the screen of my CRT-monitor ? - or print it ?  help help didn't
help.
      There is an INSTALL.FAST file which may be an executable (how are
executables identified in Linux ?).  I'm confused about why I have
to "install" instead of simply running the mc executable (whichever of the 30
files that turns out to be ?).
      After I get mc installed, how do I make it accessible as a new command -
like all the excutables in /bin ?
      How can I execute mc as the last task of my boot sequence ?  I've been
operating in the Konquerer X-Window environment but don't like it - it is too
much like MS-Windows - and much slower (on a 1 GHz CPU) and more buggy.

Excuse these simple questions from a novice Linux user - I hope that mc will
get me back to being in control as I was with Norton Commander under DOS.

Geoffrey Hunter
Chemistry Building Room 318
York University, 4700 Keele Street
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3J1P3