Help with Install Please

Rob Sutherland rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 24 06:34:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 01:17, Geoffrey Hunter wrote:
> Overall: I want to use Midnight Commander as my file manager and operating
> environment; I have downloaded mc-4.6.0.tar.gz, have decompressed it with gzip,
> and have extracted all the files with tar; I now have a new folder (mc-4.6.0)
> containing about 30 files and sub-folders.  What next ?
>       There is a README file (text which may help), but how do I read this
> (and other text) file(s); i.e. what is the command to display the contents of
> README on the screen of my CRT-monitor ? - or print it ?  help help didn't
> help.

Ok, to print a file to the screen and page through it, type:

cat filename | more

| is right above the \, usually. The installation instructions are in
the file INSTALL.TXT - here's the short form.

cd into the directory you untarred mc into

type ./configure
Wait for quite a while for the messages to stop. If it has a problem
it will terminate with an error

type make
Wait another long while

type make install
This won't take so long

If everything worked, mc will be installed at this point and you can
just type mc to start it up.

Rob

--
Cheapersafer Computer Support