regexp manuals/tutorials/books for beginners ?

talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 23 14:43:23 UTC 2004

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:38:16PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >   One of my co-workers has a job that includes retrieving portions of
> > flat-files for client requests.  She logs on to an HPUX system, and runs
> > scripts that make heavy use of regexps+grep.  I've been writing simple
> > (and not-so-simple) scripts for her.  She can make simple adjustments,
> > but it would be nice if she could do more on her own.
> >
> >   She can navigate her way around the unix command line sufficient for
> > her needs, and she's reasonably bright with a university degree, etc.
> > What training materials are there for a beginner to learn regexps?  A
> > full-blown "Intro to Unix" course would probably be "a mile wide and an
> > inch deep", i.e. too broad, and not covering regexps in enough detail.
>
> man ed ex sed vi egrep regex awk python ... anything that uses regex!

And, of course, let's not forget Perl. If she is familiar with scripting,
then Perl would seem to be the perfect fit.

Suggest a visit to perlmonks.org -- piles of reference material there and
plenty of helpful folks to answer questions about scripting, regular
expressions and so forth.

Alex