fstab file

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane-MHIYrZpDPrNWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 23 04:14:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 07:14:04PM -0800, Mel Seder wrote:
> I've look at your link and found the paper very informative.  I think
> the "ln -s ..." and subsequent /etc/fstab entries are just what I'm
> looking for.

I'm not sure what your original problem was...I can't find the list
archives on-line so I'm not sure what you're trying to solve.

> The following two lines were pasted from your document.
> =================== two pasted lines ==========================
>  # ln -s /dev/sda1 /dev/fatflash
>  # ln -s /dev/sda2 /dev/flash
> ====================end two pasted lines ======================

This is mounting two different partitions on the same mass storage device.
Which is *probably* not the problem you're trying to solve? Can you email
me your original question if I haven't answered your question yet? (Sending
it off-list is fine.)

> Can sda2 be used for /dev/flash and can sda2 be used for /dev/fatflash?
> Or does linux/kernel determine the sda number based on some kind of
> hardware attribute?  I'm not sure if I'm asking the question properly.

If you want to mount a second device count your letters up, not the
numbers. e.g. sda1 and sdb1. NOTE: the *first* device you mount after each
reboot needs to be sda1. So I'm constantly having to update my /etc/fstab
because sometimes I have the camera plugged in and sometimes I have the
key chain plugged in. When I have both plugged in within one session the
first one plugged in is sda1 and the second is sdb1.

emma
PS Be sure to drop Niko an email and let him know his doc was useful. He
worked *very* hard to get every little thing right.

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]