OTA hatred?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 20 21:56:53 UTC 2004

Peter L. Peres wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, James Knott wrote:
>

>>A few years ago, my work ThinkPad had a token ring NIC.  In order to
>>connect it to my home lan, I used the "Paralell Port Adapter" in OS/2,
>>to connect it to my home OS/2 system, which was configured to act as a
>>router, in addition to it's usual desktop duties.
>>
>>Also very slow.
>

> I did not know that OS/2 could be used as a server/router 'out of the
> box'. I have never used OS/2. Was it really as good as I keep hearing ?

It was and still is excellent.  It's got by far the best desktop and is
extremely reliable.  It also multitasks better than anything else on the
desktop, including Linux.  And yes, you can configure it to be a basic
IP router.  There is also a server version, which has some differences,
such as the file system, which make it more suitable as a server.
However, OS/2 Warp 4 comes equipped with ftp, telnet and other servers,
right out of the box, just like Linux does.  I've also used it to access
NFS shares and X apps, though those required additional software.
There's a reason banks love it and continue to use it.  At work, we have
some OS/2 systems, for doing work for one of the major banks.