Why I will not buy at OTA

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 19 04:00:12 UTC 2004

Interesting story.

I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the years. I bought a tower from
them at one point and about a year later the power supply gutted the
machine, totally destroyed every thing in the box. I went back to OTA and
said 'this is not supposed to happen. This power supply was defective'. They
argued with me, but I have designed computer power supplies, so I know that
they should have a crowbar circuit that prevents this from happening.

They still gave me a great song and dance until I threatened to ensure that
Ryerson (where I work) never bought another machine from them. At that
point, they gave me a new machine at cost.

About 2 years later, the Abit motherboard in that machine bit the dust, and
that had a chain reaction of having to replace the scanner, the video card
etc etc. The tech guy in an unguarded moment said something like 'Yeah,
we've had a lot of the Abit boards back.' (Someone told me that this may
have been related to the counterfeit bypass capacitor scandal.)

On the the other hand, I have bought a lot of stuff from them that did work
as advertized, and their tech people seem to be mostly OK. So I wonder
whether one would get better service elsewhere. Part of the problem is that
the market for white boxes is *extremely* competitive.

Also, the previous manager at OTA had a more progressive and helpful
attitude. I know that when push comes to shove the current manager is not
going to be helpful.

I'd be interested in hearing about other dealers in the downtown core that
people have found to be helpful.

Peter

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,