istop.com

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 17 22:23:02 UTC 2004

Phillip Qin wrote:
> Hope your post won't cause another round of xDSL vs cable war.
>
> I am not defending Sympatico, however Cable high speed bandwidth is (or
> used to be) shared by you and your neighborhoods, xDSL is not. For
> example, my Ultra ADSL is 3MB, I get 3MB download consistently, day and
> night. When I was living in a rented townhouse in Scarborough,
> landlord's Roger high speed is 3MB, in peak time (mostly evenings) I
> would only get couple of Ks; after midnight, when everybody goes to bed,
> I would get hundreds Ks.

I generally don't notice much slow down.  However, all the subscribers
don't share the same 3 Mb download.  There are several channels
avaiable, which (IIRC) run around 30 Mb or so, which are divided among
users on an as needed basis, up to the 3 Mb limit.  Rogers will also add
equipment, as demand grows.