istop.com

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 17 15:55:02 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 09:56, Phillip Qin wrote:

> Hope your post won't cause another round of xDSL vs cable war.

but they were so much fun.

> I am not defending Sympatico, however Cable high speed bandwidth is (or
> used to be) shared by you and your neighborhoods, xDSL is not.

Those "sharing" commercials from a few years back were almost as annoying as
the current Microsoft Office commercials of today.  The Internet _IS_ shared,
get over it ;-)

Is it really relevant whether the sharing begins in a Bell owned box that
might be up to 4km from your house versus in a Rogers box that's within 50
metres of your house?  I don't think it matters.

What matters is whether the provider of that "last mile" has enough Bandwidth
available between their box in your neighborhood and the ISP,  after that
what matters is whether your ISP has enough bandwidth to the Internet.

My understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) is that cable has the
capacity for 30Mb, no generally available DSL technology has that capacity
though eventually who knows.

Does anyone know the actual technology that Bell uses to get DSL traffic from
a local CO to the ISP?  What technology do cable providers use?

I've had both cable and DSL, cable (in the past) for me was way better.  These
days I get the same bandwidth from istop that Rogers was giving me over 2
years ago.  As long as istop (or other low cost alternates) exist I doubt
I'll go back to cable.