Belinda is concerned

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 12 03:18:53 UTC 2004

Isn't it wonderful? Manually, it takes weeks to do it, but with a computer
you can screw up an entire membership list with a few lines of computer
code.

Peter

----- Forwarded message from The Belinda Stronach Campaign <info-eb8I3daYxBk at public.gmane.orgca> -----

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:44:40 -0500 (EST)
From: The Belinda Stronach Campaign <info-eb8I3daYxBmw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>
To: phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Subject: Belinda Stronach Newsflash
	RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET,RCVD_IN_SBL autolearn=no version=2.61

Belinda Stronach Update
*Newsflash*
Thursday, March 11, 2004

Yesterday our campaign director wrote to the executive director of the Conservative Party. He expressed our serious concern – shared by our competitors – that the party's faulty computer system is rejecting tens of thousands of legitimate party memberships.

The computer is arbitrarily changing addresses, names and ridings. It is deleting names. And it is rejecting new members if another member with a similar name lives in the same province.

This is not a political or campaign issue. It is an issue about fairness, treating people with respect and basic democratic rights.

It is about party members – whomever they may support – who have joined in good faith, paid their fees, then were rejected by a computer.

It is unacceptable that any member, much less tens of thousands, be disenfranchised. We have asked that this problem be fixed prior to the leadership election day. If need be, the vote should be delayed until the right of these members to vote is restored.

Some who defend the status quo argue that it is unprecedented to delay the vote. We say an election cannot take place when so many members have been denied their democratic right to vote because of computer glitches.

Others suggest we want to "change the rules." They are wrong – in fact, the opposite is true. Tens of thousands of members followed the rules in good faith only to be denied a vote by a computer at party headquarters. We think the same rules should apply to everyone equally.

There are some issues that transcend partisanship. This is one of them. The Stronach campaign wants to co-operate with the Harper and Clement campaigns and with party officials to solve this problem quickly.

You can read our letters to the party at http://postsnet.com/r.html?c=295075&r=294525&t=285664067&l=1&d=85118832&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ebelinda%2eca%2fBelinda%2fenglish%2findex%2eshtml&g=0&f=-1

Let's work together to solve this problem.

Paid for by Dan Fuoco, Financial Agent for the Belinda Stronach Leadership Campaign.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,