Linux friendly computer retailers in Toronto

SRB srb-s8PdfxpoPdHk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 10 15:26:42 UTC 2004

> I've been trying to install Fedora, Mandrake and Gentoo linux on two
machines:
> An old Dell Inspiron 3500 notebook
> A clone I inherited from an old business
>
> I've got fedora installed on the notebook but I'm finding that the system
> is just too slow and I'm losing patience with using it (PII 266 mHz, 128
MB
> RAM)
>
> I think the clone's motherboard is screwed because I can't get the
> integrated networking or video work with any of the distributions I have.

If you've got a highspeed connection to the internet, you might want to look
for distributions that come with "Live CD" versions of their distribution.
You can burn that onto a CD and run it entirely from the CD-ROM drive. This
way you can find out if your hardware works with it, and whether you like
it.

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php is a list of Distributions with
Live CD versions (some of these may be ONLY Live CD distros so check out
their website links).

Also www.distrowatch.com is a good site for details on different distros.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

-Steve.