most TLUG members send email from MSWin

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 7 03:12:44 UTC 2004

| From: Paul King <pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>

|  For distro lists, plain, vanilla "mail" would IMO be the easiest
| client for me, since I need only write a shell script with a list of email
| addresses, and I have myself a distribution list.

Plain, vanilla "mail" on RedHat seems to be Berkeley Mail.  This can
certainly do distribution lists by itself, without a shell wrapper.

I don't know if there is a PD version of /bin/mail (as in 6th edition
UNIX).  That's what I consider "plain mail".

Berkeley Mail has a lot of features.  Too many, actually.

| There are many other features
| Pegasus has, however, that make me want to stick with it.

I tend to change MUAs (Mail User Agents) roughly once a decade (I've
used email for over thirty years).  So I understand inertia.  But I
don't claim my MUA is best -- that would take research that I'm
intentionally avoiding.  I wonder if you are too.

I'm using PINE.  It has a few annoying limitations, but I'm
comfortable with it.  I will probably move on soon because LINUX
distros are dropping it due to licensing problems.  Mutt is probably
my next MUA.

I don't see an advantage for me in a GUI mail program.

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org  voice: +1 416 482-8253