Wrong ad on www.linux.org

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 30 15:11:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, StreetSmart wrote:

> Correct me if Iam wrong, but I don't think linux could ever really come up
> and beat MS (money wise). I mean, MS took a long time to come this far, and
> they didn't use their shitty OS to do it. They used hardware, software (they
> have there encarda and other popular software) and also some shitty
> merchandise. Linux is also free, which tells me that there not making any
> money from their OS. So what does linux stay alive on? Are their people
> donating money to them?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you are assuming Linux (or the
people behind it) is a single entity.  This is not so.  Linux was
originally developed by volunteers exclusively (and still largely is) but
is now backed by many corporations, large and small.

Many of us have made money on Linux.  The OSS model has introduced several
entirely new approaches to doing business and making money and many of us
believe there are many new approaches still to be found.

The "traditional" western capitalist approach to business is only one way
of looking at prosperity.  It isn't even a very old idea even though many
people today seem to think it has been around since the dawn of time.  I
would not be surprised if historians of the future talk about the western
capitalist 20th & 21st centuries as something of an abberation in human
history.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org