A round of applause for Emma Jane Hogbin...

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane-MHIYrZpDPrNWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 26 18:45:16 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 02:14:40PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> >There was precisely ONE slide about dealing with hecklers and it actually
> >referred to my experiences at *NewTLUG* meetings. The first NewTLUG
<snip>
> As someone who attends the TLUG meetings on an occasional basis, I also
> find those hecklers to be a source of irritation.  It's a wonder they

Sorry to be so repetitive, but it's important to me that people know I am
not referring to TLUG.

At NewTLUG meetings the presentations seem to be more about helping the presenter
with their (probably first ever) public presentation. Presentation skills
are incredibly important not only for LUGs, but also in the workplace. When
the audience tries to "help" the presenter with the topic they are actually
trashing the presenter's self-confidence--making it nearly impossible for
the presenter to finish saying what they'd prepared.

TLUG /seems/ to be more about throwing curve balls and asking obscure
questions. NewTLUG seems to be about "helping" to the point of taking
control of a presentation. My talk was about how to prepare a presentation
so that the latter doesn't happen (and what to do if the audience does try
to either "help" or "heckle" the presentation).

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]