OT? program idea: Operation Homing Pidgeon

Rob Sutherland rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 25 08:13:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 03:18:15 -0400
David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> and a program setup dialog that asks for all sorts of personal
> information to "customize" the interface.
>
> Meanwhile, the dialer has been logging onto a central security site that
> sets off alarms, transmits the caller ID and logs anything the user is
> willing to input.
>
> No, it's not a new idea, but shouldn't this be an open source staple ?
> I bet several of the list layabouts could bang this baby off in an
> afternoon !

Hmmm...long, long ago,there was a Toronto Area BBS called, IIRC, the Anarchy
Zone that would ask for all kinds of info, credit card numbers, favourite sex
position etc and then announce that all this had been stored and transmitted
to the Dark Side, you foolish lamer, you <evil laugh>. There was also the notorious
sexygirls.com scam

http://www.businessknowhow.com/newlong.htm

>From the article...note the program name :-)

"According to the FTC complaint, the defendants' web sites promised consumers that
they could view "adult" images at the sites for free, instructing visitors that they
first had to download a special "image viewer," which actually was the "david.exe" or
"david7.exe" software program. The web sites did not disclose at all, prior to Jan. 23,
1997, that consumers would be disconnected from the local Internet service provider,
reconnected to a foreign provider at a cost of more than $2 per minute, and not disconnected
again until they turned off their computers or modems, the FTC charged. Thereafter, according
to the complaint, the defendants changed one or more of the web sites to state that consumers'
modems would be connected to a site in Moldova, but the sites still failed to disclose that the
international long distance telephone connection would be maintained and that charges would
continue to accrue unless and until the consumer turned off the power switch to his computer or modem."

Rob

Rob Sutherland - rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Computer Support at http://www.cheapersafer.com