VoIP from Primus

Tom tom-mQDsgmoLwK3SUeElwK9/Pw at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 24 04:38:22 UTC 2004

Sidney Shapiro wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with VoIP service? I recently switched over
> to Primus, it seemed like a good deal at $45 a month for unlimited North
> American long distance, but now I am beginning to regret switching from
> Bell. It was nice that you keep the same number, but something is defiantly
> up with the quality of the service. The quality is very poor (even when I am
> not using the internet) and often cuts out. The price is right, its about
> $100 less than what I was spending on Bell for long distance, but there is
> no way I am going to keep it if I have to keep calling my clients back from
> my cell. Anyone know of any alternatives?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sid

I'm using Vonage over Rogers.  The sound quality and price are very
good, but sometimes the consistency is poor: sometimes the person at the
other end can't hear me for a couple of seconds.  It appears to me that
the issue is the reliability of the uplink on your internet service.
So, the solution is to switch to an ISP that provides better service,
but which ISP?

Here's a little Linux program that will periodically send out pings and
log the results.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/icpld/ (connection monitor in C++ for linux)
The best solution would be for people on different networks to do use
the output of this program to determine which ISP is best for VoIP.
If I get time I'd like to do a little work on this program to tune it
for this purpose, but I don't know if I'll get around to it.

Tom.