OT: istop trouble

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 21 02:25:09 UTC 2004

On June 20, 2004 10:13 pm, Stewart C. Russell wrote:

> Fraser Campbell wrote:
> > I've been having problems with istop on and off all day.  This is at
> > least my third outage which is quite annoying since I'm trying to get
> > some work done. Anyone else having these problems?
>
> Not currently, but it could be your modem. Is it doing weird
> blinkenlights sequences?

Thinking about it now, I've had a few different problems ...

This morning I had no connection.  DSL sync light looked fine but there was no
established pppoe session, at that time I did restart power off/on the modem
but that did no good.

> I had this recently, and after much hassle with
> Sympatico tech support, they diagnosed a dying modem. It seems that it
> could no longer synch to the higher speed carrier, and worked fine if my
> line was set to a lower rate. Swapping the modem fixed it.

Since the first problem this morning (around 09:30) I've had a connection in
every case, I could ping my remote gateway just nothing beyond ... so, I
don't think that's an issue with the connection.

> Your line filter might be iffy, too -- I seem to go through a new one
> every year.

I'll keep that in mind, you did just remind me about a crappy phone that I
have plugged in (it rings but does nothing else that could be considered
functional), time to unplug it in case it's causing problems ...