Royal Pain

David Thornton david-FkEgs2FKm2NvBvnq28/GKQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 20 00:28:58 UTC 2004

Peter L. Peres wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>

>>On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 07:27:26AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>>

>>>And of course, it's impossible to prove there are no bugs.  You can only
>>>fail to find some.
>>>

>>That is actually not true.  If you have a well defined specification of
>>what the behaviour of each piece of the program must be for specific
>>inputs, you can actually prove the behaviour of each part of the program
>>correct.  This is in fact done at some software companies.  It is
>>certainly a lot more work and costs more.  It requires proper bounds
>>checks, and full coverage testing at the very least.
>>

>And that the *specification* be correct. But the specification is
>elaborated by humans (and machines programmed by humans), so ... you can
>say standard compliance is not perfection (can you see the gnu style
>recursion in this statement ?).
>
>Peter
>--
>The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org
>TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

I read a boot called "Quality without Tears" which totally addressed the
concept of quality in business. It was a great read. It tries to bring
that methodical approach that we expect from engineering-like processes
to "fuzzy" bussinesss related processes. One major thesis of the book
was "Quality is conformance to specifications". And it went on to talk
about how you define specification and how important it is to make "bug
free" specification. And how you measure you work agains your specifcations.

I highly recommend:

"Quality Without Tears
The art of hassle free management"
Philiip B. Crosby
ISBN: 0-452-26398-0
Published: 1985

Philiip B. Crosby originally wrote "Quality is free" which from what I
gather was a much more popular book (that I have not read). This book,
"Quality Without Tears", is a followup to that book.

I went to read up on what other people though about the book and I was
surpriced to find a review on a software developers forum that reads
something like this:

            "This book give no specific exampels of ohw to make high
quality software, it sucked."

I thought that that review was hilarious. The book is not specifically
dirrected at software developers. It address the concept of Quality at a
much more generic level. I found it entirely applicable and I'm a system
administrator. Obviously YMMV.

david