Royal Pain

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 19 02:00:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> On June 18, 2004 04:22 am, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>
> > > I would say there are no bugs in this code ...
> > >
> > >   #!/usr/bin/perl
> > >   print "Hello world!\n";
> > >
> > > Of course the bigger the program, the bigger the ego that is required to
> > > say there are no bugs.  Still I don't see why in certain circumstances
> > > you cannot say that code is bug free.
> >
> > Grin. How do you define code. If there is a bug in Perl then your code has
> > a bug.
>
> If there is a bug in perl then my code may not do the right thing, I would
> still that my code is perfect though ;-)

Perfect in respect to what ? Your code would not run on windoze because
you would have to save it with a .pl extension and have the registry set
to run perl programs, but you did not specify that. It would also not
run on an embedded device that has no terminal to print to. It might run
on an embedded with a 1-line lcd but it might hang on the \n since that
is usually not interpreted in such an environment (or at least, not in
the way you think it is). The perl binary may be in /usr/local/bin
(where it is on my machine f.ex.) and again your code would not run. Do we
go on ?

Peter