Royal Pain

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 18 15:20:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> If there is a bug in perl then my code may not do the right thing, I would
> still that my code is perfect though ;-)

Ah yes, but your code is only as good as the code it is based on - perl,
libraries, even the kernel.  Hence the difficulty in proving a lack of
bugs.

Code behaviour is a big issue since your perl code is expected to run on
different versions of perl, libraries and the kernel as well as
interacting with different versions of applications.  It may work with the
versions you wrote it on but another box with different installed versions
may get very different behaviour.

Code analysis is going to be a big thing in the future I think since code
is only going to get more complex.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org