pppd using dynamic DNS

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 13 01:55:31 UTC 2004

On Friday 11 June 2004 12:06, alek_u-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:

> I want to use pppd inside the local network with 'usepeerdns' option. That
> is, I don't have the /etc/resolv.conf initially on my Linux box, it is
> generated dynamically by pppd. Yet, when I get connected, nslookup returns
> host lookup failure. Any ideas what to do?

Do the contents of /etc/resolv.conf look correct, particularly are there one,
or more, nameserver lines like this:

  nameserver 66.11.168.198
  nameserver 66.11.168.194

How does /etc/resolv.conf compare with /etc/ppp/resolv.conf ... is it being
copied correctly?  Do you have firewall rules installed that could be
blocking the queries?

If you can't figure it out show us the exact response from nslookup, or
perhaps run the host command with the verbose option
(host -v www.google.ca 66.11.168.198).