Modules with kernel 2.6.6

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 8 17:34:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:10:47PM -0400, Gilles Fourchet wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One question about the modules configuration with a kernl 2.6.6.
>
> Thanks to Fraser, I was able to boot with a kernel 2.6.6 on a Woody
> installed machine.
>
> However, the new kernel do not recognize my NIC module's parameter in
> module.conf.  To do short, I have 2 NE2000 NIC  in an ISA machine.  In
> my modules.conf, I have a line "options ne irq=0x05,0x03
> io=0x260,0x300".  This is working fine when I boot in a "Woody mode".
> However, when I boot with the 2.6.6 kernel, I get an error "ne.c: Yopu
> must supply "io=0xNNN" value(s) for ISA cards".
>
> Any thoughts?

2.6 kernels use module-init-tools which do not use /etc/modutils.conf
(which of course on debian you never ever edit manually anyhow).

I believe the options now go in a different location in /etc.  I tend to
just do what the installer does (or used to do) and list the network
module explicitly in /etc/modules with the options I want.

ie:

/etc/modules:
ne io=0x340,0x2A0

for two ne 2k cards.

I think the new equivalant of modutils.conf is /etc/modprobe.conf.
I think you can add to that using /etc/modprobe.d/ similar to how
/etc/modutils/ was used before.  update-modules is probably still the
command for updating either file after adding new stuff to the dir to
be included.

Lennart Sorensen