floppy drive refuses creation Debian boot floppy

verbum-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org verbum-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 2 16:21:24 UTC 2004

Dear Lennart,

Thanks very much for your thoughts on the Great Floppy Mystery.

Happily enough, I'm able to boot my Debian box not from the CUSTOM boot floppy,
but from a generic RESCUE floppy (in rescue mode, rather than
install mode, and with an argument "root=/dev/hdd1" telling
the boot process where to find the root partition).

I've made a couple of handwritten notes from your useful mail.

Rapidly, cheerfully,

Tom
http://www.metascientia.com

       				> On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 01:02:53PM +0000, verbum-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> >  Dear TLUG listserv:
> >
> > I've just taken possession of a second-hand 1999-vintage HP Vectra desktop system.
> > The machine is a Pentium 3 with a clock speed of nearly a gigahertz. There is about
> > a quarter gigabyte of onboard RAM. My vendor supplied the machine with a master
> > hard drive booting Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro and an empty slave drive.
> >
> > I successfully installed Debian GNU/Linux "Woody" 3.0r1 (stable branch) yesterday from

> > 2002-vintage "rescue" and "root" floppies and CDs, using my slave drive. GNU/Linux
> > calls the master drive hdc and calls the slave drive hdd. My boot arrangement so far
> > is merely booting from a floppy, created as a custom boot floppy toward the end
> > of the Debian install process.
> >
> > All worked well for several boots of the newly installed hdd GNU/Linux system
> > from my custom boot floppy. Then, inexplicably, the following events occurred:
> >
> > *a____Machine froze when not running X (I was running merely dpkg-configure
> > xserver-xfree86
> >            and staring merely at an ncurses text-based window). I could not switch to
an

> > alternative
> >            virtual console. I could not reboot with CTRL-ALT-DEL, and so had to power
up

> > and down.
> > *b____Machine gave a boot-failed message when I tried to boot from the custom boot
floppy.

> > *c____Machine booted normally into Win2000 Pro from hdc and succeeded in formatting
> >           a floppy normally under Win2000 Pro.
> > *d____Machine booted from Debian "rescue" and "root" floppies, as it would on starting
> >            a fresh Debian install.
> > *e____Debian installer refused to create a new custom boot floopy. (I tried with
several

> >           floppies. Each time, the installer said, cryptically, that the attempt to
create
> > a boot
> >           floppy failed. It gave this cryptic message WITHOUT getting as far as the
step