unremovable drives

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 28 02:32:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 01:06:28PM -0400, David J Patrick wrote
> Now running Mandrake10 and all is well.. almost!
> supermount has been good about mounting my USB-key drive, but leaves
> "removable", "removable2", "removable3" .etc on my desktop .. forever !
> These entries cannot be seen from ~/Desktop/ but are cluttering up
> /mnt/. They are owned by root, but root cannot delete them
> (Cannot remove directory "/mnt/removable2" device or resource busy (16))

> I hesitate to swing the rm machete through /dev
>
> any ideas what I might be doing wrong ?
> thanks again,

  As root, try the command...

fuser -v /mnt/removable

  This should list all processes accessing the drive.

fuser -kiv /mnt/removable

lists  all processes accessing the drive and prompts asking if you want
the process killed.  If you're *REALLY* brave/stupid...

fuser -kv /mnt/removable

(without the "i") won't prompt before killing the process.  Before
killing the process the first time, I suggest you get back to this list
and ask if the process is vital.  I.e., can it be killed without
screwing something up?

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did