OT: LaTeX and envelopes

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 28 02:02:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:22:03 -0400
Kareem Shehata <kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> This is slightly off-topic, but I'm not sure where else to ask this.
>
> I've managed to get LaTeX to produce envelopes for me using the envlab
> package from Boris Veytsman with my letterhead class, and everything
> looks great except for one thing.  When I produce a PDF file to email,
> it includes the envelope as the second page!
>
> In general, I have a few different documents in LaTeX that I'd like to
> split into several output files.  Is there an easy way to do this?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Kareem,

   I have not played much with LaTeX lately.  I keep needing to send files around in Evil Empire format.

   In LaTeX, it is absolutely easy to create master documents that load all sorts of sub-documents.  For example, you have a form letter that you want to send to a bunch of people.  These people's names and addresses are stored as LaTeX files.  You create a Makefile to administer all this.

   Setting up the Makefile to print a letter to FredSmith and print an envelope to FredSmith as a separate operation is trivial.  Consider the following LaTeX code snippet.

% FredSmith.tex
% Data
\def\AddrName1{Fred}
\def\AddrName2{Smith}
\def\AddrStreet{123 Fourth Street, Apartment 56}
\def\AddrCity{Toronto}
\def\AddrProvince{Ontario}
\def\AddrPostalCode{M1A 2C3}
\def\AddrCountry{Canada}
%
% Assembled data
\def\AddrName{\AddrName1 \AddrName2}

   This is a database entry describing someone you can write letters to.  You can personalize the letter ("Dear Fred", Dear Mr. Smith", etc.).  You can create envelopes.

   Have fun.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org