Tunnel SMTP over ssh

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 26 11:15:26 UTC 2004

On July 26, 2004 02:10 am, Noah John Gellner wrote:

> I have been trying to do this via ssh tunneling. I forward localport
> 2025 to port 25 of the server. I use 2025 since port 25 is a restricted
> port on my laptop that only root can forward.

Try adding the following in /etc/postfix/main.cf:

  relayhost = [127.0.0.1:2025]

I don't know for sure that that will work but I suspect that it will.

> The problem wasn't with the tunnel, or even with postfix, rather it was
> with SMTP-AUTH which doesn't seem to be authenticating properly. Since I
> don't plan on opening port 25 on my firewall I figure that there is no
> harm in running postfix w/o authentication, at least for the time being.

Your mail server will see traffic coming from the firewall on your home LAN
(or at least from the IP of whichever machine you ssh into).  So just add the
IP address of that machine to mynetworks.