Tunnel SMTP over ssh

Noah John Gellner noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 26 06:10:11 UTC 2004

I have been trying to do this via ssh tunneling. I forward localport
2025 to port 25 of the server. I use 2025 since port 25 is a restricted
port on my laptop that only root can forward.

The problem wasn't with the tunnel, or even with postfix, rather it was
with SMTP-AUTH which doesn't seem to be authenticating properly. Since I
don't plan on opening port 25 on my firewall I figure that there is no
harm in running postfix w/o authentication, at least for the time being.

Cheers,
Noah

In actual error message from & to are real email addresses.

On 13:14 Sat 24 Jul     , Dan Barkwell wrote:

> ssh (ssh2) -L localport:localhost:connectport username at servername
>
> You should be able to use the above command to connect. It routes any
> local traffic on the localport to the server on the connecting port.
>
> For more info see man ssh.
>
> DB
>
> On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 05:32, Noah John Gellner wrote:
> > I am travelling with my laptop and would like to be able to send mail
> > from evolution and kmail. At home I have a server running postfix
> > which sends mail by relaying it to my local ISP. I would like to set my
> > laptop up relay mail to my home server which would then send it via my
> > local ISP. I would like to do this relaying using an ssh tunnel. I
> > currently use shared keys to make my ssh connections so interactive
> > authentication is not required.
> >
> > My question is what do I need to set up on my laptop to send the mail
> > and what changes to I need to make to my server's postfix configuration
> > to make this relaying possible?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Noah

Even Buddha punished evil - "Master Killer"