linux compiler tools for C

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 24 03:02:49 UTC 2004

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> zb.
> P.s.: I simply do not comprehend silly language in public. Neither
> English nor my native Polish. In case of English, I would rather like to
> learn from you writing here.

It's hard even for (almost) native english speakers like myself to
understand sloppy english :(.
E-mail is not a chat-room. You have time to think and re-read what you
write. Let's at least *try* to use proper English.

But let's not start a flamewar over this :)

Back to Aaron's question:

As I have mentioned in my previous post, there is really no difference
between Linux and Windows programming as far as pure C is concerned. I
don't believe "Sam's teach your self C in 21 days" (a good book by the
way) goes into GUI programming. It covers the basics of the actual
language, which are the same across (all?) platforms.

You can't write "true" cross platform apps in C. At the very least you
have to re-compile them for every platform (Win32, Linux/ELF, Mac,
etc.). As long as your programs are command-line based ("dos boxes"),
they will run fine.

I don't know if you are interested in GUI programming (windows, buttons,
text boxes, etc.), but here it goes:

The real problem is when you get into GUI programming. There are many
"toolkits" available for Linux to help you write GUI programs, but most
are not cross-platform. I believe "wxWindows" and "GTK" are
cross-platform, as is QT (but you have to pay $$ for the Windows
version). I wouldn't rush into GUI programming just yet; first master
the basics of the language.

> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 22:08, Aaron Sorensen wrote:
>
>>another thing i heard is Linux is the best for writing cross platform
>>apps. so can anybody tell me anything about that or give me a link. the
>>thing i really liked about the bloodshed app. is everything was at my
>>finger tips so i scrolled up to the top and i could debug the program
>>compiler i could go to like create or what ever it was cold at the tool
>>bar and then i could create a icon or turn my program into a start
>>package
>>its jest all at my finger tips is there a app that can do all that like
>>bloodshed
If you really want something that "tries to do too much for you", take a
look at KDevelop, which is great, but I find it an overkill for writing
command-line only programs.

>>and another question
>>what is the deferents from Linux and windows
>>programing ?? like alot of the apps arnt the same or its harder to
>>migrate a windows to Linux app right
See above.

The main two differences are:
- Different C libraries (you have to re-compile)
- Different GUI toolkits (you have to port/use cross-platform ones)
- Other??

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***