Flexible information management

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Fri Jul 23 21:54:17 UTC 2004

> Hi Phillip,
>
> It sounds like what you are looking for is a Content Management System
> (as you have suggested yourself) with perhaps the addition of a search
> engine and some custom meta-data. Here are two sites that list many
> content management systems. The opensourceCMS one allows you to try them
> out as well:
>
> <http://www.opensourcecms.com/>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Content_Management_Systems>

That sounds like it _might_ be overkill, maybe...

That being said, the option we use for the "formal" side of this at work
is Zope, as a "document management" system.

I use, instead of a coiled notebook, the Emacs "records" mode:

  <http://sourceforge.net/projects/records/>

It's not real big on connecting to things that aren't text, but does
allow pretty arbitrary file linkages, as well as a pretty decent
indexing system.

What I probably _ought_ to add in is the Remembrance Agent mode
<http://www.remem.org/>, which is an Emacs plug-in that watches over
your shoulder and suggests information relevant to what you're reading
or writing.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/multiplexor.html