using only USB harddisks ?

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 21 20:16:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 11:02:55PM -0400, Peter L. Peres wrote:

> >Anyone using USB harddisk?  I'm interested whether one could skip IDE
> >and go USB for all harddisks.  I don't see any way to boot from USB on
> >my BIOS... perhaps, newer motherboard has that option.

Do you mean booting off of a USB memory key or more like an external USB2.0 IDE
enclosure?  If the latter, you might also look at firewire (though I don't know
how the BIOS support for that might be...) because it's faster in the end.

(480Mbps for USB2.0 is actually slower than 400Mbps for the old firewire, because
fw chipsets do a heck of a lot more work, offloading cycles from the CPU and
reducing latency)

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10118

Note the _actual_ transferrates, not the "interface" numbers.

--
taa
/*eof*/