knoppix 3.4 hd install not printing

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 19 04:58:17 UTC 2004

Chris Aitken wrote:
> John Myshrall wrote:
>> Chris perhaps try
>>
>> apt-get install synaptic
>
> Does the following indicate it did not install?:
>
> root at p733:/home/chris# synaptic
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>

> (synaptic:18353): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> root at p733:/home/chris#

Actually, it looks like synaptic is installed (the binary exists). This
is a problem that occures due to strict Debian security settings (root
is not allowed to run X programs). However, I don't remember the fix for
it.

Perhaps the following command will work:
# su -m --command=/usr/sbin/synaptic

(Means: run synaptic with root privileges but keep my current shell (and
I would guess identity)

> chris at p733:~$ dpkg -I synaptic
> dpkg-deb: failed to read archive `synaptic': No such file or directory
> chris at p733:~$ su
> Password:
> root at p733:/home/chris# dpkg -I synaptic
> dpkg-deb: failed to read archive `synaptic': No such file or directory
> root at p733:/home/chris#
>
> I guess that means it did not install. This is the first time I've used
> dpkg.

The command you are looking for is:

# dpkg-query -s synaptic | grep Status

On my machine, it returns "Status: install ok installed" meaning
Synaptic is installed.

(Actually it means "the packaged was marked for installation and
installed correctly).

- --
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***