knoppix 3.4 hd install not printing

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 19 00:33:30 UTC 2004

John Myshrall wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:19:05 -0400
>lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:
>

>>On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 12:50:05AM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
>>

>>>Anton Markov wrote:
>>>

>>That means you never did:
>>apt-get update
>>Have to do that regularly to update the available packages lists.
>>
>>Lennart Sorensen
>>

>Chris perhaps try
>
>apt-get install synaptic

OK, it took so long to run I left the house -- when I returned the
termainal had closed itself.

Does the following indicate it did not install?:

root at p733:/home/chris# synaptic
Xlib: No protocol specified

(synaptic:18353): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
root at p733:/home/chris#

chris at p733:~$ dpkg -I synaptic
dpkg-deb: failed to read archive `synaptic': No such file or directory
chris at p733:~$ su
Password:
root at p733:/home/chris# dpkg -I synaptic
dpkg-deb: failed to read archive `synaptic': No such file or directory
root at p733:/home/chris#

I guess that means it did not install. This is the first time I've used
dpkg.