knoppix 3.4 hd install not printing

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 17 16:44:11 UTC 2004

> Re: [TLUG]: knoppix 3.4 hd install not printing
> From:
> Anton Markov <anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>
> Date:
> Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:31:10 -0400
> To:
> tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
>
> To:
> tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org

>Hi Chris,
>
>It looks like cupsd is not running on your system. Try manually starting
>it by executing "cupsd" as root, and see if it runs.

Done:

chris at p733:~$ su
Password:
root at p733:/home/chris# cupsd
root at p733:/home/chris#

> If there are no
>errors, try opening a browser and going to "http://localhost:631" to
>access the Cups web-based configuration. If it works, you can use that
>to set up without using the KDE printer configuration (if you have to).

OK. I don't know which of the following to choose. I'll go through the
hard-copy manual that came with the printer to see which of the
following make sense:

EPSON 9-PIN Series CUPS v1.1 (en)
EPSON 24-PIN Series CUPS v1.1 (en)
EPSON New Stylus Colour Series CUPS v1.1 (en)
EPSON New Stylus Photo Series CUPS v1.1 (en)
EPSON Stylus Colour Series CUPS v1.1 (en)
EPSON Stylus Photo Series CUPS v1.1 (en)

>Chris Aitken wrote:
>

>>I have installed knoppix 3.4 to my hard drive. Looks like the answer to
>>my prayers (i.e. sound works out-of-the-box). There are not many choices
>>when installing to the hard drive (via sudo knoppix-installer) so I
>>couldn't choose to install cups. However, the  installer did advise that
>>"kdm cupsysd will start with each boot". Alas, I can't print.
>>
>>When I open 'Configure-Printing Manager' I get 'Initializing Manager..'
>>then:
>>
>>Error - KDE Control Module
>>Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received for manager.
>>Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server correctly
>>installed and is running. Error: conection refused.
>>
>>Trying to restart the Print Server I get:
>>
>>Error - KDE Control Module
>>Unable to restart print server. Error message received for manager:
>>Unable to find a running CUPS server.
>>
>>Any ideas for steps to troubleshoot this? I read the man page for cupsd
>>-- it's short and no help for this. It took me a few days to get
>>registered on the Agnula users list -- now I'm switching to knoppix live
>>3.4 (hard disk install) so I'll hunt for a  users list for that OS. I
>>would, however, like to print something tonight to my epson stylus c84
>>if I can.

<snip>