relatively inexpensive PC Card (PCMCIA) wireless NIC

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 10 16:18:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 09:58, Lance Nichols wrote:
> I am traveling to the US starting early next week and the hotel the company
> has booked me into seems to only offer wireless internet access. The Dell
> c640 I have (company supplied dual booting between company Windows image and
> PRO SUSE 9.1 image) was never equipped with the wireless card.
>
> So, rather then pony up the costs to rent a NIC daily, which may not work in
> linux, I am looking to grab one quickly before I head south. Advantage of
> this would be I could then use it @ home on my wireless network as well when
> I get back....
>
> So, does anyone have any good suggestions for inexpensive (<$60) wireless NICs
> that are "garenteed" to run on this system?
>
> Lance
>
> PS, thanks for the input for a first time poster.

I've had great success with a Linksys WPC11.  As Taavi pointed out, make
sure to get the exact model.  I've subsequently bough a WPC54G, and it's
completely useless to anything other than Windows.  I think both
canadacomputers.com and factorydirect.ca have SMC2635W's which use the
ADM8211 chipset.  I believe those have drivers, but they're not the
easiest to use.

Good luck!

Kareem

--