relatively inexpensive PC Card (PCMCIA) wireless NIC

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jul 10 15:47:07 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 09:58:49AM -0400, Lance Nichols wrote:
> So, does anyone have any good suggestions for inexpensive (<$60) wireless NICs
> that are "garenteed" to run on this system?

http://www.linux-wireless.org/Wireless/Drivers/

I've heard good things about the various prism cards (prism2 and prism54).  When
looking for these cards, make sure that you get an EXACT match for the model, as
even the smallest difference in name _can_ mean that it's actually a very different
card.  Where indicated, know that sometimes even a card with EXACTLY the same name
may actually have more than one model, and one may work while the other may not.
Always make sure that your source allows returns, just in case.  ;)

More laptops are comning with MiniPCI slots these days.  These are internal PCI
connectors, and the laptop would then have a built-in antenna (often built into
the sides of the screen).  This is really nice to have, as there are no stray
bits hanging out of PCMCIA slots.  ;)

--
taa
/*eof*/