audio CDs won't mount or play

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jul 7 15:28:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 09:54, Jing Su wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Chris Aitken wrote:
> > From: Chris Aitken <aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org>
> > Subject: [TLUG]: audio CDs won't mount or play
> >
> > I can mount data CDs, but audio CDs won't mount or play:
> >
> > Error. mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
> > or too many mounted file systems.
>
> You don't actually mount audio CDs.

The CDs look like they are playing -- the status slider of CD Player is
moving across as if it is playing -- but no sound is coming out of the
speakers. Analog sound cable is hooked from the CD-ROM drive to the SBL!
soundcard. Wires from the Speaker Out on the SBL! card to the speakers
are OK as I can play the 'Play test sound' in System Settings >
Soundcard Detection, yet Sound Events seem to play (buttons are not
greyed out) but, again, no sound comes out of the speakers.

Why would 'Play test sound' work but nothing else?

Chris

<snip>