OT: Hardware RAID on linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 6 20:39:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 06:13:57PM +0800, JM wrote:
> Hi,
>
>	I have a IBM box with 6 slots for hot swap disk. I did 3 RAID
> 1 on those
> disks. pair 1-2, pair 3-4 and pair 5-6. Just incase disk 2 fails do I have to
> mkfs on the newly bought disk? or do I just insert the disk and all things
> follow? and Is it possible to upgrade the disk space for pair 5-6? if disk 5
> and 6 are 32 G each.. and Ill be replacing disk 6 with 100G disk.. Ill assume
> that data will be copied on disk 6.. after it ill be replacing disk 5 with
> 100G.. with this do the trick?

Which raid controller is running the drives?

I know IBM serveraid cards will simply start a rebuild as soon as they
see a new drive replacing a dead one.  The user sees nothing unusual.

mkfs is a higher level, which doesn't apply to raid which is lower level
(beneath the block device).

Lennart Sorensen