what "Hostname" for FC2 install?

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jul 6 03:24:12 UTC 2004

Hi Chris,

I hope this answers your question:

Chris Aitken wrote:
> I am installing FC2 (biding my time waiting for SuSE 9.1 Personal in the
> mail). I know the IP address and mask that I am choosing are fine and
> will work with my second PC. However, I don't know what to put for
> "Hostname" so that it will be OK communicating with my second PC.
Computers communicate by IP addresses, so the hostname should not really
matter. Read below..

> The FC2 installer gives the example, "host.domain.com". That threw me
> for a loop because I thought that "hostname" is just one word -- say,
> p733, and the fqdn would be something like p733.domain.xxx.
I have noticed that programs such as mail/web servers use the 'hostname'
as the default for certain variables and on error pages. The SSH server,
for example, may have a default message presented at logon that would
include the hostname. Or it would record a log message like "last login
from p733"

However, I am sure that it is configurable through the servers'
configuration files.

Otherwise I don't think it has to be an fqdn. It's probably used for
convenience on computers were it makes sense (mail/news servers open to
the net).

> Here is
> the /etc/hosts of my second PC:
>
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1       a800    localhost.localdomain   localhost
> 192.168.0.2     p733    p733.local
I would presume that 192.168.0.2 is the local IP assigned to the
computer you are trying to set up. In that case, the hostname should be
'p733', so that you could use 'p733' instead of '192.168.0.2'. Of course
you could make up any other name and just edit the /etc/hosts file to
reflect the new name. The name is just an alias, and can be anything.
(The exception is 'localhost' as noted above, because many programs have
that hardcoded, but that should be the same on every computer.)

> [Did I just give this whole list access to my computer?!]
no.

> Based on that hosts file (if it is not too wierd), what would a good
> choice be for what FC2 is calling "Hostname" computer? I wanted what I
> *thought* was called "Hostname" to be "p733". The network configuration
> of the second PC does work because I've moved files across the network
> to it via scp -r.

As far as I understand, any name will work as long as the /etc/hosts
files match. Of course you can always use the IP address directly.
However, if you used the name 'p733' in scripts or other programs, you
may want to keep it just to make things easier.

> Chris

- --
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***