APIC on AMD Athlon 2500+ Broken?

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jul 5 14:06:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 10:01:10AM -0400, Kareem Shehata wrote:
> Here's the strange part:  what was causing my system to lock up solid
> was APIC support.  Any kernel that I've run with APIC enabled will crash
> after what seems like a random period of time no matter what devices are
> in use.  The system is now running just fine, but I figured APIC would
> help improve stability and performance.  Is this a known bug in either
> the kernel or my hardware (Asus A7N8X Deluxe with an Athlon XP 2500+),
> or do I simply have a crappy chip?

Check http://bugzilla.kernel.org to see if anyone else has run into those
problems.  I had issues with the ACPI (NOT APIC) Processor Driver on my
Thinkpad with a 1.8GHz Pentium-M, and after searching the bugzilla archives
(and finding nothing), I opened a new bug, and at least now have this
workaround (don't enable the processor driver).  AFAIK, the processor
driver isn't all that useful on a Pentium-M anyway.  But I digress.

Go check with bugzilla.  :)

--
taa
/*eof*/