strange problem removing files

Alex Maynard amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 29 15:47:50 UTC 2004

Hello All,

I'm a bit confused on error message I get trying to remove files on a
second hard-drive (a windows partition mounted on linux) and just thought
I'd check to see if anyone had any suggestions or in case I'm missing
something obvious.

I am getting the following error:

rm: cannot remove `apsi0814_100_100.fmt': Read-only file system

The strange thing is through that:

1. in /etc/fstab the disk (/windows) is mounted rw:

/dev/hdb1               /windows                vfat
rw,noauto,dev,exec,async,uni_xlate,suid,user,nonumtail,uid=25732

2. the files have me as user and permissions set to rw.  Permissions on
the directories are all rwx

3. These files had just been written to the disk yesterday and I had been
able to delete some other files that had been written at the same time.

Earlier this morning the /hdb partition did fill up to 100% capacity and
the files I've been storing there are unusually large. I
don't know if that could have caused a problem? Or maybe I'm just missing
something obvious?

Alex

Alex Maynard
Assistant Professor