backpack

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 29 02:58:23 UTC 2004

Hi Chris,

Under Redhat7.3, if you just plug in the CD-RW and then let the "kudzu"
hardware detection utility run (either type "kudzu" when logged in as
root, or reboot), it should detect and configure the writer.  I have
seen CD-RW drives work under RH7.3 with this plug'n'play method.

The disk will probably use scsi emulation.  You can check if it worked
by putting in a normal (already recorded) CD and doing:

# mount /dev/sr0 -t iso9660 /mnt

or maybe /dev/sr1 if you already have a CD drive in your computer (do
all this as root). Or just insert a CD and let KDE or GNOME auto-load it.

If it fails, send us the output, and also do:

# lsusb | less

and see if the output lists the CD drive.

In any case, do:

# cdrecord -scanbus

to see if your device is being detected.

Tell us what you get, and any error messages you may encounter.

> I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome with this post.
Not at all

> I'm having trouble with my backpack under W98 on my dual-boot rh7.3/W98
> SE system.
>
> I wouldn't even use W98 were it not for CD burning and Pro Tools Free
> multi-track recording software. I haven't figured out how to burn CDs in
> linux yet.
There was a discussion on this list about Pro Tools a while ago.  Anyone
remember the subject line / link to archive?

- --
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***