backpack

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 28 22:55:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 04:44:14PM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome with this post.
>
> I'm having trouble with my backpack under W98 on my dual-boot rh7.3/W98
> SE system.
>
> I wouldn't even use W98 were it not for CD burning and Pro Tools Free
> multi-track recording software. I haven't figured out how to burn CDs in
> linux yet.
>
> I guess I've got three options:
>
> 1. Forget W98 and get the backpack (model 222010, 48X 24X 48X external
> CD-REWRITER) to work under linux  (it's not listed as supporting linux;
> also means I'll have to start copying saved data from Pro Tools Free to
> a drive that linux can see so I can save music data to CD).
>
> 2. Try to get the backpack to work under the W98 VMware vm, or
>
> 3. Get it to work again under W98 SE.
>
> The W98 options have two sub-options:
>
>     a) LPT
>     b) USB
>

> SpeedyCD is giving me the error:
> Backpack rewriter not detected.
>
> I see in Device Mgr that there is 'Unknown Device' under 'USB", along
> with 2 'USB Root Hub's and 2 'ViaTech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host
> Controller's. Removing and letting Hardware detection detect the
> hardware just finds the same deivice, asks for the W98 media, I pop it
> in, tells me it's fond a device driver that will probably be ok or some
> such, but it still is not detected in Device Mgr or SpeedyCD.
>
> The Duron 800 custom (as in 'no-name', not 'souped up') PC freezes and
> Ctrl+Alt+Del reveals that there is 'no response' from msgsrv32, to which
> I End Task.
>
> Tried physically uninstalling, reinstalling software and driver and
> hardware to USB, then LPT.
>
> Just makes you want to have a shower ond scrub hard, eh?
>
> I guess the first thing I do before I get crazy and reinstall Windows
> 98, is find out if the hardware has failed - not sure how to do that. It
> will still be under warranty - I bought it last Thanksgiving.
>
> Sorry for all the Windows stuff. I guess I'm just hoping that someone
> has a quick fix so I can finish burning these CDs, then maybe pursue a
> more linuxy solution (linux or VMware vm).

Well you could try loading usb-storage module in linux and see if that
detects the cdwriter.  If it does then you should be able to use it like
any other scsi cdwriter in linux.  I suspect on parallel port linux
would need the appropriate parallel ide driver loaded (it has some
driver for backpack drives) and I think it has a generic scsi interface
to the parallel port drives too, so it might even work that way,
although USB is probably better.

On debian I find the 'hotplug' package handy for detecting and loading
the right driver for usb devices when they are plugged in.

Lennart Sorensen