backpack

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 28 21:44:14 UTC 2004

I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome with this post.

I'm having trouble with my backpack under W98 on my dual-boot rh7.3/W98
SE system.

I wouldn't even use W98 were it not for CD burning and Pro Tools Free
multi-track recording software. I haven't figured out how to burn CDs in
linux yet.

I guess I've got three options:

1. Forget W98 and get the backpack (model 222010, 48X 24X 48X external
CD-REWRITER) to work under linux  (it's not listed as supporting linux;
also means I'll have to start copying saved data from Pro Tools Free to
a drive that linux can see so I can save music data to CD).

2. Try to get the backpack to work under the W98 VMware vm, or

3. Get it to work again under W98 SE.

The W98 options have two sub-options:

    a) LPT
    b) USB

SpeedyCD is giving me the error:
Backpack rewriter not detected.

I see in Device Mgr that there is 'Unknown Device' under 'USB", along
with 2 'USB Root Hub's and 2 'ViaTech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host
Controller's. Removing and letting Hardware detection detect the
hardware just finds the same deivice, asks for the W98 media, I pop it
in, tells me it's fond a device driver that will probably be ok or some
such, but it still is not detected in Device Mgr or SpeedyCD.

The Duron 800 custom (as in 'no-name', not 'souped up') PC freezes and
Ctrl+Alt+Del reveals that there is 'no response' from msgsrv32, to which
I End Task.

Tried physically uninstalling, reinstalling software and driver and
hardware to USB, then LPT.

Just makes you want to have a shower ond scrub hard, eh?

I guess the first thing I do before I get crazy and reinstall Windows
98, is find out if the hardware has failed - not sure how to do that. It
will still be under warranty - I bought it last Thanksgiving.

Sorry for all the Windows stuff. I guess I'm just hoping that someone
has a quick fix so I can finish burning these CDs, then maybe pursue a
more linuxy solution (linux or VMware vm).

Chris