Email Server on subdomain

Garth Meisel Garth-xsdjDKdUMl2akBO8gow8eQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 27 17:03:14 UTC 2004

Roughly Tue January 27 2004 6:07 am, JM said:
< Hi,
<
< 	I have a localdomain, mydomain.com.  In mydomain.com I have a local DNS.
< which resolves the mydomain.com workstation and the MX for the said domain.
<
<        I want to setup another email server ,subdomain,
< workstation1.mydomain.com i already finish doing the setup and now i want
 to < make the necessary change on my DNS... at this point im stuck..
<
<       how can i setup my DNS MX record to point to
 workstation1.mydomain.com < if someone emails a
 user-vEgOWn/6yzlUvZw60irGklZU9NkXhid/AL8bYrjMMd8 at public.gmane.org?
<
<      my goal is:
< 		if someone emails user-3Q2Tfjf0mexWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org the MX will be
< workstation10.mydomain.com
< 		if someone emails user-vEgOWn/6yzlUvZw60irGklZU9NkXhid/AL8bYrjMMd8 at public.gmane.org the MX will be
< workstation1.mydomain.com
<
<
< im using qmail as smtp.

I'm not quite understanding exactly what you're doing here.  Are you trying to
configure ONE Qmail server to accept mail for "Doesn't really matter how many
virtuals" or are you trying to configure TWO Qmail servers to spin their own
little webs?
I would have ONE email server accepting virtual addresses for a thousand or
100K addresses or domains, whether virtual/sub potato potato but that would
have nothing to do with setting MX records for sub-domains to a separate
computer etc.  If you're serving more than one domain or sub-domain/virtuals
blah blah blah, you want to have the MX record for those domains to all point
to your email server.  All the other domains I collect/send mail for all go
to mail.webostics.com.  My main domain is obviously "webostics.com" and host
name "mail".  No separate places to set DNS to.  MX in DNS all goes to
mail.webostics.com and Postfix (or Qmail) will deal with it at it's level.
Hope this helps somewhat.  I can't help any further because I don't run Qmail
and you need to check out the virtual settings for Qmail.  : )