Drive Image Linux kernel panics OS not found -GRUB

Teddy Mills teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 26 20:58:29 UTC 2004

I use Drive Image software (DriveImage Pro 2002 in my case)  to copy my
Linux servers.

DriveImage copying SCSI drives copy well, including copying the  boot
records.
However IDE drives do not copy the boot records properly. (I had this
problem 2 years ago too. I forget what I did then to fix it)
This means I get "operating system not found" when booting off the newly
imaged Linux hard drive.
I use SysLinux 2.00, and if a current mkbootdisk of the original drive is
used, I get a kernel panic init= error.

Booting off the SysLinux disk and passing a kernel option....

boot: linux root=/dev/hda2

(my kernel root is /dev/hda2)

works. and boot the imaged drives!  Woohoo. I am not sure if this is what I
did 2 years ago.
My only question is:, now that I can get back into the linux on the newly
imaged drive, how can I now tell GRUB to reinstall the bootlloader? I was
thinking of connecting the 2 drives together and using "dd", but I would
prefer to use GRUB to reinstall the bootloader manually.