Microsoft -- Get the facts on Windows and Linux

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 26 03:32:11 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 03:14:50PM -0500, David Tilbrook wrote

> SFU is indeed free and will work on W2K as well as XP pro,
> but not XP personal.  Bite the bullet ... XP is only $30.
>
> Warning: SFU needs to be on an NTFS file system.
>
> SFU combined with an X server it provides a quite reasonable
> environment if one is forced to use windows.
>
> Unfortunately one does need the C++.net product to build software.
>
> There are minor glitches -- really slow when accessing samba file
> systems and I have not as yet got the nfs stuff working.

  Isn't most of this functionality available from Cygwin ?  I use it at
work because my job is much more scientific/technical data-crunching
than paper-pushing, but I can't justify a dedicated *nix workstation.
It's nice to be able to run utilitities like sed and tr when dealing
with large textfiles.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did