unusual telephony request - recording voice mail

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 25 18:19:44 UTC 2004

Wil McGilvery wrote:
> I disconnected the phone receiver and ran wires to an audio in jack for recording purposes before. This worked fine for me. I used the phone to dial and recorded what ever came through the speaker.

Don't *EVER* do that.  If you want to connect to a phone line, buy a
device that's designed for the task, or at least use a transformer and
blocking capacitor.  A phone line has 48V DC on it and by connecting
directly to the phone line, you may damage your equipment or interfere
with the phone line.